Blood in your eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Joe Loburak, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Joe Loburak

Joe Loburak New Egg

Mar 16, 2015
    My husband recently purchased 4 dozen of your eggs at Landis's Supermaket. I opened 3 so far and there was blood in them. What can you do to solve this problem? They don't sound like free range eggs

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to our flock? Who's eggs? You do realize you are addressing thousands of people who keep chickens in their back yards? Super markets are not allowed to buy or sell eggs from unlicensed chicken keepers. Maybe you could take this up with the market, the FDA or the factory from which the eggs originated? have a nice day. [​IMG]

3. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    Who's eggs?

Why would blood in the eggs mean they weren't free range? you can have blood spots in free range eggs. it's commercial eggs that won't have blood spots because they candle the eggs. Blood spot won't hurt you, I just use those eggs for baking.

4. Sid Post

Sid Post Chillin' With My Peeps

Battery hens. It won't hurt you but it looks bad.

Scramble or take them back to the store if it bothers you. Be sure to tell the store it has a bad egg supplier, though cheap eggs come from high pressure chicken batteries. They have their place but, are not known for high quality.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Who is the "your" you are addressing here that you somehow feel is the supplier of the eggs that were purchased by your husband?

FWIW - blood in the eggs has nothing to do with whether the hens are free range or batter. In fact, you are *less* likely to find meat spots, blood, etc in eggs that have gone through commercial processing due to the sophisticated scanning and sorting technology that is used to identify and remove "bad" eggs from the packaging line. They can see right into the eggs and anything that is not up to par is kicked off the line to be used for pet feed, non-whole egg products, etc. Small producers do not have the luxury of such devices and most of the grading/sorting is based on external examination only so that is why people get "farm fresh" eggs and are convinced that there is something odd about them when they find a meat spot, blood, etc -- because they have only ever seen that in the non-commercial eggs they come to believe that it doesn't happen in commercial eggs.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  6. Sid Post

Sid Post Chillin' With My Peeps

Candle if your concerned.

If you have a hen consistently dropping blood spot eggs, take her out of 'market' production.

If you are talking about a factory farm with hundreds of thousands of hens, they can afford the automation to scan eggs.

For a flock of hundereds of hens, subject to cheap labor, I have never seen good quality control. Small batteries don't have the luxury of expensive automation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by