Blood inside egg

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So our girls are just starting to lay (some started a few weeks ago, some just the past few days. We keep the smallest eggs for ourselves and sell the bigger ones. The smaller ones are from our newest layers.
Today we cracked an egg and there was a bit of blood inside. It was from one of the newer layers as it was a small egg. We went through about a dozen eggs, all the same color and small, so I’m sure we cracked another egg from the same layer and that one was the only one with blood. DH threw it out before I could take a pic in the bowl, but it was in the garbage on top so I snagged a pic. Do you think this is a problem? Or just a new layer working out the kinks?

Attachments

• 9B6EB194-EF59-4A1E-BDC5-1D64F57458A2.jpeg
    9B6EB194-EF59-4A1E-BDC5-1D64F57458A2.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 17
Sometimes a tiny blood vessel breaks during egg formation, leaving a blood spot. Most literature says if it's attached to the yolk then it happened in the ovary, if it's in the white then it happened in the oviduct. I've had a few that were much worse than that one. It's generally a fairly uncommon thing, and you may never see it again from that bird. Not surprising in a new layer. One of several reasons I break my eggs into a separate bowl first and not directly into whatever I'm making. They are safe to eat, just kind of a yuck factor.

It is a broken blood vessel in the oviduct. They are still edible, just with the bonus of protein in the form of a little chicken blood.
It takes about 24 hours for an egg to develop so rarely will the blood be in more than one egg.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much! Glad to hear it doesn’t signify a problem. Will keep an eye on her eggs. ❤️

Sometimes a tiny blood vessel breaks during egg formation, leaving a blood spot. Most literature says if it's attached to the yolk then it happened in the ovary, if it's in the white then it happened in the oviduct. I've had a few that were much worse than that one. It's generally a fairly uncommon thing, and you may never see it again from that bird. Not surprising in a new layer. One of several reasons I break my eggs into a separate bowl first and not directly into whatever I'm making. They are safe to eat, just kind of a yuck factor.
Makes it hard to sell eggs though! I have several older hens doing that! Blood spot attached to yolk

Back
Top Bottom