1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    I recently posted a question about a injury our cockerel had, I fixed his injury, gave him a warm chicken bath (followed correct chicken washing protocol) and he became a little bit more vocal after I put him in his chicken cell. But I went into the coop to switch out the water only to see that everything was covered in blood, the water, feeder, chickens, walls, roosts, etc. Every time a drip of blood would run off of his comb he would shake his head, and get blood every were, and the hens would peck at the wound. What should I feed him to boost his blood production? What can I do, he is definitely in shock because he just stands in the same place, but he does not seem all that weak, he stands pretty well. Any answers are appreciated.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I believe I already answered your question..........

Liquid band aid....Blu-kote and keep him in a crate...........

Unless you follow these instructions? Not much more to say to you at this point......The bleeding needs to be stopped and the Hens should not be able to eat him....They will for sure if he is not brought into a Crate.....

Cheers!

3. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Sorry should of worded it better, I meant to ask what to give him to aid in recovery and increase his blood production to make up for what he lost, he was looking pretty tired. But nevermind lol he is already doing just fine.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you can find some Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell vitamins at your TSC or feed store, you could give him 3 ml orally or in his food daily to build up his iron and other nutrients. When they are bleeding it can look like a lot when it is slung around. Hope your rooster recovers fully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by