1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. 123ChickieLou

123ChickieLou Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    Slight emergency here. My cat finally snagged a chick. Thankfully he only hooked it with one claw and let go when I yelled at him. But he did poke a hole in the chick that was pouring blood. The chick lost a lot of blood (for a 2 week old chick). When I got to it and started cleaning it up, it was passing out in my hands. I got the bleeding to stop and got some blu-kote on it. I wrapped it in a towel and got the heating pad and warmed it up; so much so that it started panting so I adjusted the heat and loosened the towel. I got some water in it via syringe, which it took well. I don't have any electrolytes on hand though.
    It really seems to be doing well otherwise.

Can anyone tell me what to look for now and what to expect to happen? Thanks, I appreciate it :)

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like if blood was pouring, kitty got an artery. But if it has stopped bleeding, food, water, support with an eye on the wound for infection is about all you can do. Chickens have great immune systems, heal fast, and birds in general can take a significant blood loss per body weight and recover. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by