blood on a new hatched baby belly

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carriehelene, Sep 19, 2009.

1. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    I just had a chick hatch, 15 hours after the rest did. It's tummy is huge, and there is a small amount of blood coming from it's lower belly area, and there are 2 tiny bumps where it's bleeding. Does anyone know what this is, and is there anything I can do to help?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Area where the umbilical cord detached. Put on some Neosporin and some cotton. Keep checking it because it can become an infection site, once the internal yolk is absorbed it should dry up and be fine..

3. carriehelene

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Thanks Mahroni, I almost pm'd you when I saw you were on, and instead decided to post on open forum. It looks like the yolk was HUGE, she's having trouble even turning over on her tummy. Umm, any suggestions on how I would keep cotton on it?

4. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If it's oozing blood usually the cotton will stick... (even with the small amount of neosporin) you only need a tiny bit of each (neosporin and cotton).

Monitor... I might even go as far as using a hair blow dryer (ON THE COLD SETTING) to help dry things a bit before putting on the neosporin...
    I actually did that once for a chick and it worked like a charm.

Make certain that she's right side up!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  5. carriehelene

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Thank You!!!

6. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Time for me to go to sleep, I've got a coop and two pens to sweep and mop tomorrow and only one son at home to help me.

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I hope your little one makes it. I'll be watching to see. I've had some late-absorbing yolkers, and they did fine. But it's always stressful.

8. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

problem in yolk absorbing and blood, that's not good.

hope he can make it. [​IMG]

9. carriehelene

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Ooh boy, what a night/morning. I'm exhausted! Well, her tummy is getting smaller, she's staying upright on her own, and is slowly getting stronger. Still not caught up to the others yet, but getting better. There was just too much yolk, poor baby. Thank you all for your concern, and a great big special thank you to Mahroni for all his help!! I couldn't have helped her without your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by