Blood On All The Chickens Feathers!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlover89, Jan 3, 2013.

1. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    Hi all, I went out today to see the chickens and there was blood on every one of their feathers. I was wondering why, nothing looked wrong on any of them, except one of my araucanas pooped out blood. That worried me! Any help or advice you could give me would be much appreciated. Also if anybody knows what this may be, that would also be appreciated! Thanks in advance

2. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Were they on the roost, walking around,etc? Did they seem scared of something? Some chickens eat mice so if 1 chicken caught it and the others went after it too then they could have all gotten splashed. Love a good mystery- do you see any clues where your chickens are?

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  4. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    Cknldy, yes they looked and acted perfectly fine, they were on the roost, they were out and about, and no they didn't look scared. And willowbranchfarm thanks I'll check that out!

5. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    I'm thinkin' willowbranchfarm mighta solved your 'good mystery' as we tend to not realize how much of one's poop finds it's way onto the rest ... and it'd be a good bet that if one's pooping blood? There's gonna be more ... sounds like you're gonna wanna have some amprolium on hand, just in case that's it.

6. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    I guess the rest may have gotten pooped on, but the araucana herself also has blood on her, and willowbranchfarm, that was an amazing article! Maybe I can get a pic of the bloody poop I've seen. The araucana was doing a little less than usual today.

7. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    This was the araucanas poop from a while ago: coccidiosis?

[​IMG]

And then todays, it's getting better, but coccidiosis maybe?? And there is no difference in behavior, still running around and having fun!

[​IMG]

8. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Could it be that they got into some berries??

9. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Berries or shedding the (uterine/intestinal?) Lining maybe? That part was in the article too but i'm wondering why it is SO splattered:-/ Berries seems best answer unless they definitely couldn't get to any.

10. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    well I don't remember giving them berries, but there may have been a way they got the. Thanks for all your help! So is there any coccidiosis?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by