1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood on an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunnydee, Dec 29, 2008.

1. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I got up this a.m. and first thing I do is check on the girls and bring them some nice warm breakfast.

I found an egg in the box that was smeared with blood. My first thought was..when was this egg laid? I put them to bed (I go out and turn lights out and put each bird on the roost) around 10:30...there was no egg then.

So I am assuming it was laid this morning. So I proceeded to pick up each girl and check for any blood or problems in the vent area. Nobody had blood on them and nobody had any prolapsed vent or anything.

Does this just happen with no obvious problems? Or should I be concerned?

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Don't worry-it happens occasionally for some reason. Your chickens will be fine.

3. sunnydee

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Thank you for the response. I have read a lot of egg bound and prolapsed vent problems on here and they are both something I dont want to have to deal with!

4. You will occasionally find a bit of blood on the larger end of an egg.
    Your hens will not lay for a few days after this, bu they will be just fine. If you ever looked at the process of how a hen produces eggs you would be amazed.

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    If she was egg bound, you wouldn't have the egg & if she had a prolapsed vent, it would be hanging out. I worry too much about mine too & it's always a relief to hear that nothing is wrong.

6. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Could it have been a pullet egg (the first egg laid by a pullet)? They usually have some blood on them.

Occasionally, an older hen will lay an egg with a little blood on it; this is more rare, but, as others have suggested, it is usually nothing to worry about.

7. sunnydee

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    The egg wasn't big at all. Was actually smaller than usual. I will just have to keep an eye out on them and hope this is not a sign of any problems.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

8. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    Occasionally I get an egg or two with blood on it. I think we probably all do.... [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Many reason it could be there, but it happens once in a while.
    Wash it. Eat it.

10. sunnydee

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Yup..I washed it and added it to the "family" egg box in the fridge. All my girls have been laying since November. Speaking of...guess I better get back out there....I am sure I have 4 to 5 to collect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by