Blood on and under roost...Chicken not acting normal....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fasschicks, Mar 2, 2015.

1. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    For the past couple of days, one of my EE's has been staying on the roost longer than normal in the morning. She does come down when I make it out to the coop in the morning for feeding. But she doesn't seem as perky as normal, but not lethargic by any means. This is not normal behavior for her. Also, I noticed blood on the roost this morning and drops of blood just below it - enough to concern me.

I have looked at all the birds to see if I could see any traces of blood on their feet, combs/wattles, butt feathers, etc. I can't find anything on them. I don't think she has been laying for the last week or so. I felt her bottom to see if I felt any eggs, but didn't. I plan to do a more thorough search tonight when I get home, but was hoping that maybe someone can give me some idea of what I could be looking for? We are heading on vacation on Sunday for a week and a fellow chicken neighbor will be watching them for the week. I would like this resolved for the sake of my chicken and my neighbor.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for?

Wendy

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have a rooster? If so check her sides under her wings just forward of her thighs. This is a common area for rooster damage from toenails or spurs to show up.

3. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Hmm. Coccidiosis maybe? That can lead to bloody stool.

Sometimes when hens start laying for the first time or when re-starting after the wintry months they will splatter blood but that's usually not on roost.

Check for a broken egg inside?

4. fasschicks

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    It is not bloody stools - it was plain blood drops and then a big blood smear on the roost in a couple spots. She has been laying for over a year and started up a month ago. We do not have any roosters.

I am just surprised that I didn't see anything on the feathers or other parts of her body. I will have to do a thorough exam on her belly tonight and also an internal exam. I am just stumped.

5. fasschicks

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    I just went out with my husband and did a check on each and every bird. We could not find anything on any of them. Not one drop of blood on any bird. I am so stumped as to where the blood came from. It wasn't a small amount of blood either.

6. JJSS89

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    I would say just monitor the situation but assume that they are fine. Often I think we convince ourselves that one is acting different but a lot of times they are just fine.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I see blood on my roost about every couple of weeks, usually from a chicken getting a blood feather broken on feathered feet, or someone getting a comb pecked. Finding the victim is usually impossible, but my banty rooster sometimes will have a bloody foot. I would just keep an eye out for any more blood, and watch for any bullying of your EE. Placing multiple feed and water stations can help.

8. fasschicks

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advise! I left for work at 6 a.m. this morning, so I couldn't see very well in the coop, but all girls seemed fine when I left. Hopefully it is one of those weird things that happen. Thanks again for everyone's time and input. It made me feel a lot better.

wendy

9. JJSS89

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    You know my father always told me, "things don't fix themselves..."

However, when it came to chickens, I believe he was at least partly wrong

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by