Blood on Beak HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by duckking, Jan 22, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My RIR just went after a a bug on the hardware wire and seems to have scraped her beak. It is bleeding. I JUST ordered my wound and illness kit from Myer today....figures. What should I do? I'm worried the other hens will pick at her? We're dabbing it off with a cotton ball and some hydrogen peroxide. Should I put some neosporin on? I haven't a clue what to do....GULP

2. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I left the last message before I went to check her myself. It looks like her beak has actually ripped.....[​IMG] or cracked. It is not dangling, but there is a large crack on the side extending up over the top. T ried to see if she can open it, by offering a meal worm. She is pecking it, but didn't actually take it.....AAAAAARGGGHHHHHH>

3. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Well, we ended up taking her into the vet. Her beak had actually cracked and pulled away from the bone. My son caught the tail end of what happened. I guess it got caught and she pulled really hard trying to get it out and ripped it. [​IMG] Because it had detached from the bone, he is putting in 3 pins to keep it supported and which will allow her normal movement and then coating it with collagen to promote healing. He said because we got it so quickly we have a good chance for her to recover without having to remove the top part of her beak. Having the beak part from the bone, if not caught quickly, the ceratin begins to die and dry up. He can't guarantee that won't happen, but he is optimistic that we might have got it early enough so that it will heal. [​IMG] He is going to call us tonight and let us know how she fared through surgery and we can bring her home tomorrow.

The cost of her eggs are now going up $1 each for the next year. [​IMG]

GET BETTER FOGHORN!!!!

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh wow, that's horrible. I'm glad you took her to the vet and caught it early.

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Wow, that's terrible! Good thing you can make your money back through her eggs, poor girl.

6. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Oh my gosh! I wouldn't have even thought that could happen! I hope she heals up really quickly!

[​IMG]

7. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks guys. I never even thought about it and it involved 1/2" hardware wire, so not sure how she managed it. My son was there and said he saw her stick her beak out to grab a bug and the next thing he knew, she was bleeding. Anyway, on my way to get her from the vet.

Do you think I'll have a problem putting her back in with the gang? It's only been 24 hours and it's interesting because the chickens AND ducks have been unusually restless and noisy all morning. I went out to make sure no predators were skulking around but can't see any reason for them all to be so wired up. Missing Foghorn?

8. Hanna101

Hanna101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Connetticut
    pour foghorn your a good man to take of the hen hope she will heal quick ,Hanna101

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by