1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

blood on beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by earthy_chicks, May 12, 2007.

1. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Today my 5 week old Delaware had blood and a little cut on her beak, right in the middle. Oh no! I put on some anti-picking lotion (marigold, tea tree oil, & some other natural ingredients) and wondered if I should separate her so the other chicks wouldn't make it worse but she started flipping out to be by herself so I let her back out of the henhouse. Then I started watching closely to see if anyone was bullying. Then I noticed that 5 out of 6 chicks have small sores on their beaks with just a little red showing. What is the deal? Are these wounds likely just part of the normal pecking process or do I need to do something here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Sounds to me like they are pecking at something sharp? Maybe a good once over in the coop and run, to make sure there are no nails sticking out. If its shiny, they will peck it. I would medicate the wounds...and keep an eye on them. Maybe they will "show" you what they are pecking at.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: