Blood on droppings board **pics included**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JWidd, Aug 22, 2014.

1. JWidd

JWidd Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    I have seven young chickens--14-17 weeks old. Treated for round worm a few weeks ago after seeing a couple worms in the poop, since then, no longer seeing worms but have noticed some yellow foamy dropping but also a lot of "normal" droppings so though it was probably cecal. This morning found this on the droppings board under the roost. Looked over each chicken to see if there was any trauma, but since I didn't find any injuries figure it is likely bloody excrement. All birds are looking fine, have been out in the yard foraging, all seem to be eating and drinking.

Debating on treating with Corid given the amount of blood after reading several forums, or just waiting and watching. Any advice is appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yellow, foamy droppings are *not* normal cecal poops like that silly poop page says they are.

The feedstore had six with them, three died, so I asked for their bodies, sent them to UC Davis for necropsies and the necropsies found severe coccidiosis in all three. Blackhead poop can also look like that. If they were mine I would start them on Corid ASAP.

Corid powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days
    Corid liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days

-Kathy

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2! Please don't wait and watch. Coccidiosis is so common and is often the prime cause for bloody droppings in young birds. If that's what they have and you wait and watch you will have dead birds. They will act as normal as they can until they are so sick they just can't do it anymore, at that point even if you start treating you will most likely loose the sickest ones. Just go ahead and treat, you can at least rule out that possibility and if that's what it is you can prevent deaths.

4. JWidd

JWidd Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Just started the Corid. Hopefully it's not too late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by