Blood on egg and laying in odd places

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by janetgt, Mar 10, 2015.

1. janetgt

janetgt New Egg

Sep 7, 2014
    Hi Everyone. We have been enjoying raising new chicks to, almost, yearlings and have actually survived the winter! We thought we were making out great until the past few days it "appeared" that we were only getting a very few eggs. Later, my husband found the eggs had been laid in a hay nest outside of the coop! Today, we had an egg with blood streaks covering the majority of the outside of the shell. We decided it was time to join the forums and see if anyone has thoughts. I was wondering if these are signs of broodiness coming upon us or of something else. Thank you for any words of wisdom.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congratulations on surviving the winter! And yes, hens have been known to hide their eggs. Glad your husband found the hidden nest!

What is your hen acting like? Signs of broodiness include: Constantly sitting in the nest, fluffing up and growling at people and other chickens, very protective of eggs and feather lined nests.

Here are a couple links on broody hens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/broody-hens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/encouraging-or-discouraging-broodiness-in-your-hens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

Good luck!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Mountain Peeps gave you some nice links on broody hens. What breeds do you have? The hiding eggs may or may not mean somebody is going broody, some hens just like to hide eggs even if they never plan on sitting on them.
    With the blood streaked egg, you might want to check the vents on your birds to be sure nobody has a prolapse or is getting vent picked, the occasional blood streak isn't unusual in birds just starting to lay or if somebody lays an extra large egg ... but if it is a good idea to check vents if it is a lot of blood especially.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] If you are finding blood often, please post at the "emergencies, diseases, injuries," cures thread.

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Hi there, WELCOME to BYC[​IMG]

I agree with what Mountain Peeps said, those are very good signs of broodiness!!!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You've been given some excellent links to check out so I'll just say it's nice to have you join us!

9. janetgt

janetgt New Egg

Sep 7, 2014
    Thanks all for your comments. The links were very helpful. All the poking around that I have done on the site and I hadn't found those!
    I have 2 Black Sex Links - "I follow you around just like I am a dog" - 2 RIR - "we don't much care to be touched, but please give us a banana chunk!" - and 2 Australorpes - "we are noisy birds".
    Anyone interested in a pair of Australorpes? Just kidding. We love them all and they are so much fun to interact with. The kids really get a kick out of them.

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    LOL, I'm so glad to hear your BA's are loud too! We have 2 in our mixed flock and they are the loudest birds we have. They get especially loud singing the egg song...which wouldn't be that big a deal but, they sing it for every bird that lays (we have a total of 15 chickens so that's a lot of noise). Goofy birds, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by