Blood on egg and nestbox, is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missychicky, Jan 20, 2011.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I've just colected my eggs for today and I noticed there was blood in the nestbox and on one of the eggs. The egg isn't huge, just normal sized so I don't think the egg being to big for the hen is the culprit. What happened? And is this a health issue?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I've had it happen periodically... Are they fairly new layers???

3. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    Well, they're about 18 months old give or take...

4. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    I have come upon this 2x, each time it was a bleeding comb. Freaked me out because it looked like a bloody war had gone down in there. But of course, no one was acting funny, no one was getting picked on--after careful watching I spotted the source and it was a bleeding comb. Given how chickens move and constantly shake themselves, it's no wonder blood was everywhere!

I hope your answer is just as simple.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've seen this just a few times, with the most recent when my little barred rock began laying again after her molt this winter. Was it a bloody smear on the egg? Each time, it's been an isolated incident, so as long as things look fine by the next day's egg, I wouldn't worry too much.

6. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    Well- she seems fine today- all I can guess is that it was a large egg or somehow just hard for her to lay..
    Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by