Blood on egg- graphic pictures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quackydoodle, Aug 10, 2014.

1. quackydoodle

quackydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    Rigby, ID
    Anybody know what this is? I have an Easter egger hen that's at least 3 years old. She lays nearly every day. The last 2 days her eggs have been bloody (on the outside only). I checked her vent. It doesn't look
    Injured anywhere, but it's not the same as my other hens' vents. I'm not exactly an expert on what I should be looking for, however. She's been acting totally normal, it's just that her eggs have been bloody.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let me know what you think.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. TheChips

TheChips Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    I havent seen any posts made on here yet so im bumping the thread for you. Hoping someone can see it to give you some help!

3. quackydoodle

Apr 29, 2014
    Rigby, ID
    Thanks, i appreciate it!

4. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    One of our EE'S and one of the welsummer girls lay eggs with blood similar to yours. They have been doing this off and on since they started laying last year. I haven't been able to figure out what is wrong if anything. They get oyster she'll fed Layena feed,, weeds and garden green as treats. They get regular checks if only picking them up and looking at vent to weekly vent internal checks.

As long as no blood from vent I figured they are fine. Otherwise both have healthy appetite active doing well laying over other day even in 100 degree heat. Sometimes the shells do have very rough exteriors which may cause the bloody shells. Both have a history of laying bigger than jumbo eggs too. So they are both watched for problems.

5. quackydoodle

Apr 29, 2014
    Rigby, ID
    That makes sense. I have 2 ee's that are roughly the same age. Whitey lays smaller eggs (the one in the pic that I thought was injured), and Bird lays big fat round eggs. I didn't think Bird had been laying the last few days, but now I'm thinking she's laying the bloody ones. The last round one I found was really rough on the outside. The next day, I found the 1st bloody egg. Thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by