Blood on Egg/Loose Poop

Frankenfield

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2021
Virginia, USA
I have a 1 1/2 year old hen who is laying eggs with blood on them. She also has dark loose poop with no visible blood.

My flock is being treated for coccidiosis. We are finishing up the second round. Everyone’s poop is normal except hers.

Backstory: I’ll try to make this long story short. I just got her back three weeks ago from a two month stay with a neighbor. (She is the lone survivor of a predator attack that decimated my flock.) She went to live with my neighbor because she kept escaping my yard and hanging out with the neighbor’s chickens. Unfortunately, she got hen pecked near her vent while she was there. We have since gotten new chickens and taken steps to integrate her with them. They basically leave her alone or she chases them off. This has allowedy her feathers to start growing back in. My neighbor said she didn’t lay over the last two months so she would have just started laying again.

Here are pictures of her vent and eggs:

EF827170-503D-4A6A-B947-837CA8CD9A39.jpeg

08DCA735-F0CB-42BE-9AF0-077E02CB7044.jpeg

8123FAEC-3E0E-4C9F-AEF4-8A1683F47345.jpeg

What could be wrong?

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
It appears her vent injuries have only partially healed. That would be the obvious reason for the blood on the egg. It would help if she could heal before laying any more eggs. If you have a roomy pet carrier that she could spend several days in comfortably, you could place her in a quiet area with very dim light and total darkness at night. This might stop her egg laying for a while. No guarantees, though, but it's worth a shot.

The wound needs to be treated twice a day, or more if you have time. The easiest way is to buy some Vetericyn wound spray. Spray two or three times a day, let dry, and then smooth on some antibiotic wound ointment such as Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment.

The Vetericyn encourages tissue regrowth and the ointment will prevent bacteria while keeping the wound moist for faster healing. It also may help prevent irritation should she continue to lay eggs.

Top Bottom