blood on egg shell after being laid?? pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smcdermott, Oct 4, 2015.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Second day I have noticed one of my hens has laid an egg that has quite a bit of blood on the egg after its been laid. Anyone know why? Should I be worried?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. smcdermott

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    I should also say that I have checked her out and she looks and acts healthy as can be and her vent looks great.
    So what could it be?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Is she a new layer? It's not unusual for them to have a touch of blood when they first start laying. Guess they're stretching things out a bit too much.

I've had several eggs like that with my new set of girls, too.

4. smcdermott

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    She is an established layer. She is new to me, I have had her for about 2 months. I would say about 1 1/2 years old. ALSO> the egg from today (with the blood) was a double egg! Haven't had one of those before [​IMG] maybe that's why

5. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Bloody eggs like that are prerty common, especially if the egg was a little bit bigger that her usual egg. As long as there's a little bit of blood there should be no concern, however i read somewhere that mites can cause blood on eggs so might want to check if your flock has any parasites....

6. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Oh that explains it!!! A double yolker is a big egg and that's why ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by