Blood on egg shells after laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jamielynn, Jan 1, 2010.

1. jamielynn

jamielynn Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    NH
    Is this common? It has happened a couple of times since winter started. It is not the same bird either. When I collect the eggs I notice some blood on the shell.
    Thanks.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    if they are fairly young birds new to laying then its normal.... my hens have been laying for 18 months and when we get a big one there will be a little blood on it... not to worry unless it is copious amounts

3. jamielynn

May 6, 2009
    NH
    Thank you, that makes me feel better!

4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

It's normal. I found an egg like that yesterday. It was my wheaten ameraucanas first egg. I have a few other who haven't been laying very long that will lay a bloody egg every once in a while.

Sonja

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Very common in young birds, occasional in older birds. Nothing to worry about unless becomes excessive but then what are you going to do? Tell them to stop laying eggs? [​IMG]

All I'd do is never hatch and raise chicks from a hen that had a consistent problem with this, because it's not a trait I'd want passed on.

6. jamielynn

May 6, 2009
    NH
    Thanks everyone!

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, and getting a little more fat in their diet at this time will help the egg chute to stay moist and accommodate the eggs. Wild bird suet is a good choice, or use fat from the kitchen (watch the salt) and mix in with seed or pellets.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  8. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    what causes blood on eggs are when they get too fat and they strain when they lay their eggs cauising blood on the egg shell [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by