blood (?) on egg WITH PICS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cobrien, Dec 7, 2009.

1. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Hi,
    I have a Marans who just started laying, at first I thought she was laying speckled eggs but realized that the spots are blood (I think). A few questions:

1. Is this anything to be concerned about? The hen seems perfectly fine. I've seen blood on eggs before but these eggs are coated with more blood than I've seen.

2. It is sooooo hard to clean off. I have to use warm soapy water and scrub for several minutes. I'm not a germophobe but I'm not a vampire either! Do you think I need to worry about cleaning it until it is spotless?

Here is a pic before cleaning:
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic after cleaning 1/2:
    [​IMG]

Thank you BYCers!
    Colleen

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    It's not blood. That's why it's so hard to clean off! It's what I call "freckles". All of my Marans' lay eggs with those spots on them. They are laid on the egg (with the dark color) by glands in the oviduct. I think that's what makes them the cutest eggs of all my layers (well at least 'til my new ameraucana chicks I'm getting in the spring start laying)! It is easier to wash off if you catch the egg immediately after it's laid but why would you want to???

3. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    OHHHHHHHHH!!!

That is great news. This is my first Marans so I didn't know this. I thought the spots on spotted eggs were part of the egg shell and couldn't be washed off. I won't be scrubbing any more!

Thanks!

4. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    You are very welcome.

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

my green eggs sometimes come out 'uneven' and one of my brown egg layers always comes out 'speckled'...thats what makes them so fun and I can tell who's egg is who's.
    [​IMG]

6. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

My brown eggs are frequently speckled, and one of my EE lays a rougher, unevenly colored egg consistently. But other than "poo" which of course I wash off, I don't scrub my eggs, just give a quick rinse. I'm eating (and cooking) the insides, not the shells:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by