blood on egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ericasl, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Hi, just came in from getting eggs and one had some blood on it and there was some blood on the edge of the nesting box? The egg was a big one! I think I know what hen layed it I also got a big one yesterday!! Should I be checkin hen bottoms. It was very red blood not a whole lot just a little??

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It is often normal, espeically for new layers. I wouldn't worry but keep an eye out on the girls for other possible issues with trying to pass large eggs.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That can be normal with new layers OR if your birds are overweight...like we've given them too many treats (GUILTY)

Just keep an eye on it.

4. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Thank you for the info. How many treats are toooo many?

5. iluvmichickens

iluvmichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Iowa
    Ugh, this happened to me today. I have new pullets just starting to lay. I went out to the coop and saw in one of the nesting boxes a little egg and blood drops all around the nesting box. They were on top of the pine shavings and one on top of the egg. Bright red. Then I noticed a few more blood drops around the coop. They are all acting normal and I haven't noticed any new blood drips. Is that normal for a pullet just starting to lay? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by