1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood on egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gail2568, Dec 13, 2010.

1. gail2568

gail2568 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    I have a 8 month old red sex-link hen that just started laying eggs a week ago. The first egg was 2.50 and now it is up to 2.79 oz. I noticed yesterday a slight blood stain on the egg and then this morning there was more blood on the egg. I am worried about her bleeding on the egg is this normal? Is there something I should do ? I have two other red sex-link hens (Lacy and Louise) but there eggs are around 1.80 to 1.90 oz and they have been laying for months. Why is my one hen (Thelma) laying such big eggs? They are gaining in size daily.

Thanks for your help
    Gail in Kansas

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's not unusual to find a blood smear on an egg, especially when they first start laying. I have seen several. And lots of odd things happen for a few weeks when they first start laying. It's like it takes them a month to figure it all out.

I hope things settle down and she is not in distress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by