1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood on egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country Parson, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Yesterday I noticed some blood on an egg. I was in a hurry to get to work, and didn't have time to check the chickens. Today I can't find anything wrong with any of them. My wife said she saw some blood on an egg 3 or 4 weeks ago but forget to tell me.

I this normal? Or does it indicate a problem?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sometimes it happens with pullets that haven't been laying long.

3. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, I see that occasionally also. It is pretty common for pullets.

4. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    My hens are going on 2 years and I get eggs with blood spots almost every day. Pretty sure it's the same hen, but hard to tell.
    I usually keep them for my own use and save the "pretty" ones for the few people that buy from me.

5. kendra1178

kendra1178 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    we get an egg with blood on it every few weeks or so. There hasn't been anything wrong with any of our hens, so we haven't been worried.

6. ezgreen

ezgreen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    We just noticed this on an egg. This was one of her first eggs so I am thinking it is because she is young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by