Blood on egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WinterSkyMoonRanch, Jul 24, 2011.

1. WinterSkyMoonRanch

WinterSkyMoonRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    California
    [​IMG] I just picked up an egg in the coop. It has quite a bit of blood on it. Can I still put it in the incubator? Why does this happen?[​IMG]

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I assume you mean the blood is from the hen, not from the internal blood supply of a developing embryo -- the egg isn't cracked, right?

If its the hen's blood, it happens because things go wrong during the laying process. The odds are it isn't anything major, just a popped vein from straining too much to lay the egg.

You should be able to incubate it. Wash the blood off with something like some peroxide on a wet rag, and then wipe the spot with clean water or a very dilute bleach solution, 2 tablespoons of bleach in a cup of warm water.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yup, I've successfully incubated eggs that have been filthy with poo and with bad staining to the shell, after I've washed them off. I dunk them in a hot solution of dilute bleach, give them a gentle scrub to free off any muck, dunk them again and give them a swirl around for maybe 10-20 seconds, then rinse them thoroughly under hot running water. If the water is hotter than teh inside of the egg, it causes any dirt that is in the pores of the egg to expand and be forced out the way. If you use cold water, the contents of the egg will contract and actually suck the dirt further in to the shell.

Most people recommend water just slightly warmer than 99F, to make sure no heat damage is done to the egg. Personally I use water quite a bit hotter than that, as logically it takes way longer than 20 seconds for heat to transfer from the outside of an egg to the middle. But anything just over 99F will be fine...

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have successfully hatched dirty eggs too.

6. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have never washed my eggs and successfully hatch them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by