Blood on Egg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nutcup, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Nutcup

Nutcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Yreka, California
    I'm not sure if it's Pecker or Kitty who's laying these nice tan colored eggs. I guess if it's Pecker we don't get blue eggs from her. I've heard that the Silver laced Wyandotte lays this color of egg, even though her ear muffs are white? Anyway, I've been finding them around the yard and in the cage, since I've been letting them roam.

Too many questions, my important one is Why is there blood on the egg, and what can I do about it. I love my girls, but I can't spend a hundred bucks to take her to the vet. Of a dozen eggs layed so far, 2 have had blood smears, like being constipated for me? Both of them have been inside eggs. I suspect Pecker because she's so tiny, but she sure looks like an Americana and should be laying blue or green eggs??

Any comments will be explored and appreciated.
    Mark

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Sometimes blood smears on the egg, means the egg is too big and kind of hurts them in their way out. Sometimes brand new pullets lay them, again it usually because they are small and the eggs are too wide, I should say instead of too big. If you are finding an egg here and there in this manner, I would not worry too much, if every egg you find is bloody, then maybe is a different problem. I have had bloody smears on eggs when the pullets are new, like the first 2 weeks. Also I've had some when the hen took a break and started laying again, but in this case no more than a day or 2. Keep an eye on it and if it is every single egg, you may have a bigger problem. How old are your hens? How long have they been laying?

3. Nutcup

Mar 23, 2014
    Yreka, California
    Thank you.

Yes, if it's the Wyandotte, she's the youngest and should begin any time. If it's the Americana, Pecker, I've been expecting her to begin laying, and have been worried because her body size is small at 3 pounds. She was injured as a chick, and it was a struggle keeping her alive long enough to heal, so her sister Nellie is almost 6 pounds, and hasn't begun to lay yet either.

I got Kitty as a 6 WEEK old, and put her in Pecker's private apartment to keep her company because the bigger sisters always pick on her. I've posted pictures of that time.

And, I hope I mentioned that there were 2 of a dozen so far that had some blood, todays was clean. The first egg came about 2 weeks ago, and was perfect, but also the smallest so far.

I have 2 Cochins the same age who began laying last fall and have molted and expect them to start laying again soon.

Sorry, I've been sick for a week, me and my granddaughter, and I'm having a hard time typing and thinking...
    ~Mark

4. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
  5. Nutcup

Mar 23, 2014
    Yreka, California
    thank you so much watermellon :>)

Yes, that's what the first bloody egg looked like, and I expected to find a dead or down chicken somewhere. I was so happy to see everyone looking snappy as usual, so I tried to inspect their hinies - well, no takers... then no blood for a couple of days, then yesterday about a fourth as much as the first one, and no egg today. They all seem to be famished and very demanding lately, just rototilling up the back yard and begging whenever I'm out with them. But I still don't know which is the one that's begun to lay.

It ends up that I've had a few of the examples already, with the brown spots being common. Maybe that's from giving them yogurt and oyster shell just because they like it???

I've raised lots of chickens on acreage in the past, with rabbits, goats, all the fun stuff. But, I never imagined that I would ever get personal over chickens. I always liked to watch them and let the broody ones hatch chicks. They protected them perfectly in the growing flock, and all I had to do was keep eating rooster from time to time. But these chickens talk to me, and I'm ruined. I could no more go out and grab one for dinner than our cat.

6. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    Your welcom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by