blood on egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueridgefarmer, Feb 27, 2015.

1. blueridgefarmer

blueridgefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2014
    I have about 20+ hens that free range and I haven't noticed anything wrong with any of them, but the last two days there has been a small amount of blood smeares on an egg. I have no idea what is going on.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hopefully, this is just one of those egg oddities that occasionally happens to many or most of us. A hen could have a minor wound at or near her cloaca, for example. Or it could be happening further up, more internally. I see this maybe once every 6 months or a year.

You could visually check your girls for an injury -- or you could just keep an eye out for a few days. It may just resolve. Good luck!

3. blueridgefarmer

blueridgefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2014
    OK, finally by the grace of God, it's 60 degrees here in the mountains, so all the girls are out and about, I noticed one of Black Australorp had yucky stuff all over her fluffly rear end.....picked her up and it looks like a hemorrhoid kinda, bloody ball right by her vent, she is still laying almost everyday, and eating and pecking around like normal, I will start googling but all your experts out there...What is it and what should I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by