Blood on Eggs day two

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mikeand217, Dec 13, 2012.

1. mikeand217

mikeand217 New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    I've been out of town for a few days so my parents have stopped by to take care of my 8 New Hampshire's and 3 Plymouth Rocks. When I got back today I got 2 eggs with quite a bit of what appears to be blood on them (streaked fairly consistently from tip to tip). I then learned that this occurred with one egg the day before. It was getting dark so I couldn't check each one of them. When should I get concerned and what could it be
    Thanks, new to the site what a great resources

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] How long have your hens been laying? If they are just starting to lay. it is not at all unusual to have some blood streaked eggs. The 'production line' has to stretch and adapt to the new function.

3. mikeand217

mikeand217 New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    They've been laying since September

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Knocks that theory all to heck. Are the blood streaked eggs significantly larger than usual? Maybe things are still stretching?

5. mikeand217

mikeand217 New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    -No that's the thing they have been exceptionally consistent. They lay eggs a day every day. I had some double yokes about a month ago, but lately they are all about the same size. I read about mites and my group has a bad tendency to be a little canabalistic. I had them free ranging, but I have too many hawks so they are a little too confined at least until I finish their new pen

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You might want to check and make sure that they are not pecking at one anothers' vents now that you mention problems with cannibalism. Again it may be none of this. Sometimes they just lay blood streaked eggs. If it is not excessive it generally isn't a significant problem.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Check their vent area for mites. Watch them for feather picking around the vent area. These issues can cause the eggs to have blood on them. Another possibility if it's not mites or feather picking...capillary worms can cause this as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by