blood on eggs ever since *pic*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whatsup chickenbutt, Oct 14, 2008.

1. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Ever since this huge egg a few days ago, all three of my white leghorn's eggs (which have been normal sized since)have had blood smears on them. Is that just because she is recovering from that huge thing, or should I be concerned? There are no visible signs of blood on her backside.
    [​IMG]

2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I think it normal. I get eggs like that too. I hope it gets better.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would say that that egg is equal to giving birth to a 12 lb baby, so bleeding is probably normal. Poor girl!

4. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I've had six kids and I feel sorry for that bird.

5. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Oooouuuuuchhhhhh!!!!!!

One of my birds has been laying a bigger torpedo shaped egg lately......I thought that was big till i saw yours.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  6. nerfy

nerfy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    Looks like the one my BR laid a week ago. As long as she looks good and eating well, the layer of this gigantic egg should be ok.

7. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    she seems to be ok. She is eating and active, and doesnt look any worse for wear. However, today, I was looking at her and she had some blood smears on the feathers on her two sides. Oh well, she's fine I guess. Im not going to worry too much, she is all over the place and acts perfectly normal. I guess she's just got a sore hiney....

8. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    LOL I got a triple yolker the other day, then she looked back at that egg like "Holy sh*t" after she laid it, I about died laughin! But she's fine, it was a little bloody, but she aint actin miserable or nothin...

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't think there's much you can do about it, except give it some time. Poor girl! That was a whopper of an egg! Hopefully, she'll be better soon.

I've had pullet eggs with blood smears a few times, when they first started to lay. They all healed fine.

10. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Yeah, I have a chicken who has blood on her eggs lately too. I was a bit concerned as well... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by