Blood on eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by onebuggirl, Feb 17, 2009.

1. onebuggirl

onebuggirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Today I found an egg that had blood on the shell. There was also blood in the nesting area. I turned over the chickens and looked at some vents. One had a pinkish piece of flesh peeking out of her cloaca. What should I do ? What should I be looking for? Could she have just been backed up, she may have not laid an egg in a couple of days.

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mine have been having some blood on eggs as well. I did not look at the vents, but after reading this I think I will. Hope someone helps you with the piece coming out.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've had some with bloody eggs as they are new layers..... I mean .. can you IMAGINE laying something that big in comparison to your body almost every day! [​IMG]

Anyhow... I've never found blood in the nest box though, only on the egg. So hopefully someone has the right answer for you. Though, if all look ok and are acting/eating/drinking normally and you continue to get normal eggs from them.... then it was probably just one of those things. [​IMG]

Just went back and REREAD your post.......... hmmmmm... I dunno about that fleshy part. Is it an older layer? New layer? What breed? Any other problems?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Whlle not common, it is neither uncommon. Just keep track of your birds for anything that may be serious, but I bet there is nothing wrong, just something that happens.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I just logged on to look for this exact same topic. I picked an egg today that had blood on it as well. I wasn't sure what to do, so I came here to find out more.

6. onebuggirl

onebuggirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    My girl is a BArred Rock that is at least 2.5 years old. My hens had been laying (3 hens) an egg a day for a week and a half. THen suddenly I was only getting 1-2 eggs a day. THen today I got the blood splattered egg. I will keep an eye on them. Behavorially they all act fine..but I am not home all day to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by