Blood on Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by umanduhbree, Sep 10, 2011.

1. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    This may have been answered several times now, but every day I am finding eggs with a few smeared drops of blood on them. It's only been the last three days or so, and I assumed, that it was due to a few hens being new to laying. However, since it has been three days now, is this a sign of a bigger problem? Or is this normal with the first couple eggs a hen lays? Thanks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Could be mites.

The first egg a hen lays has blood on it, in my experience. I have one sitting in a basket right now with blood on it- first egg.

Over and over...I'd check for mites just to be safe. Look around the vent area for them. If not mites, then maybe it will go away in a couple more days.

Or- if it is 3 different hens laying their first egg- no problem.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    New layers not uncommonly have some blood on their eggs. Sometimes more than others.

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:+2

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    One of the things I love about this forum is that someone is usually dealing with same thing I am. We have 22 EE that I think only 6 or 7 have started laying at 20 weeks. So, we are getting a big variance of shade of blue/green/olive/pink eggs. Some have had blood on them. Thanks for the info!

6. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    Someone answered this question for me just the other day. Mine had just started laying and had blood on them. They cleared up after the first few.

7. sksteach

sksteach New Egg

Jul 13, 2009
    My EE has been laying for a year now, and still has the occassional bloody egg. It looks like it's getting hung up somewhere in the egg tract. Has anyone else ever had this happen? She also carries on something fierce when getting ready to lay an egg. We think maybe she needs a Midol for egg cramps...[​IMG]

8. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    There might be a market for that.

1 person likes this.
  9. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    just in case give your coop a really good scrub with an anti red mite solution and powder your hens too.

10. Chicky1981

Chicky1981 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Peterborough UK
    I have just had my 3rd egg and it had a bit of blood on the shell. I think it is from 1 of my birds and it is her 1st 3 eggs. Thank you for putting my mind at rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by