blood on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by montanaSarah, Sep 23, 2011.

1. montanaSarah

montanaSarah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    my 6 pullets just started laying recently, and one is having a very hard time. for the first week or so she only layed soft eggs, and never in the same place. recently she only lays eggs in the run, although she spends most the morning running in and out of the laying boxes. and the last several eggs have been covered in blood. should i be concerned? will she even out? i wouldn't be worried if there wasn't blood on the eggs recently. she seems perfectly fine otherwise- healthy and happy. any advice would be of great help to me!
    thanks

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It is not unusual for new layers to take a while to lay normally. She is taking a little more time than most perhaps, but if she is acting normally it is not of great concern. Just continue to keep any eye on her for any other problems, like if she doesn't lay egg for a couple of days and then acts like she is egg bound. She should get into a more regular laying routine soon.

3. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:Yes my pullets did the same thing and I had 50 of them and there all ok [​IMG] Its just evening itself out..some will have blood some wont..just make sure you check her so that she doesnt have an egg stuck in her ""egg bound" cause that my dear can get messy! I give mine yogurt and cottage cheese when they first start laying extra protein and calcium...seems to help ;p

4. montanaSarah

montanaSarah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    awesome! thank you both [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by