1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood on eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimisfishing, Feb 10, 2012.

1. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    My hens just started laying last week, 2 eggs a day and today 3. I have 2 eggs out of all of them with just a smudge of blood on them, is that normal?

I am not really an animal person but I just worry my self to death about these silly birds LOL

2. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    I got a couple of "first" eggs with just a tiny smudge of blood,too. Being a worry wart, I checked all their vents, etc. and found absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. I'm sure they were much more indignant over having me turn them upside down than losing that tiny amount of blood. If it should become more or not resolve after a week or so then you may want to investigate further.

3. Yes, totally normal. It will probably stop once they get used to laying and the chute gets used to it. [​IMG] Usually, this is a matter of a little broken blood vessle causing the smear.

4. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    Thank you

5. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Every once in a while we get an egg with a smudge of blood on it. I remain amazed at the coordination needed to produce and push out the egg....it's a wonder they come out at all as clean as they do!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by