1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood on Feathers and Roosting Bar

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hawkeyext, Jan 8, 2017.

1. hawkeyext

hawkeyext Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    New York
    Hello,

I just noticed one of our white leghorns had a fair amount of blood on her feathers yet no major signs of injury on her body. I inspected the property for another injured or dead bird and found nothing. I did notice a lot of blood on the bottom level roosting bar. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is a sign of? I cannot find any signs of an intruder. Shes 4 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you have a ladder roost? Any chance a bird sleeping above her bled down onto her? Could have been an injured comb or wattle (they bleed a lot) and injured toenail, etc. If it's possible another bird bled down onto her I'd check your other birds over well and see if you find anything.

3. hawkeyext

hawkeyext Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, it's a ladder roost. I will check the others out for an injury on the foot. Thanks for the tip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by