Blood (?) on feeder

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I bring the chicken's metal feeder inside every evening so as to not attract vermin. Last night I noticed what looked like blood smears on one side of the hopper, right above where a chicken would stick her head when she was pecking food out of the tray. I examined all of their combs today and didn't see any sort of sore spots or injuries. Any ideas from you folks about what else I should look for?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Do you have any birds sneezing or coughing, head shaking, blood in feces, injuries to any other part of their body? Fully inspect your birds for injuries and observe for respiratory illness. If there isnt anything going on that you can see, just monitor them as best as you can. It mightve been a minor injury to a comb or wattle and quickly healed.

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Thanks, I'll give them all a more thorough evaluation today. I had them out free ranging yesterday and since they all will come to me for a hand-out, I examined each of their heads as I gave them a treat. Didn't notice any other issues, but will look closer today.

Do you know whether a chicken's comb can stick to a freezing metal feeder the way a your tongue can stick to a frozen metal gate or your wet finger to the metal ice-cube tray?

4. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    One of them probably nicked their comb earlier in the day and it's got a small scab that you can't see.

I don't think a comb can stick to a cold metal feeder. I think moisture is required for the stick and a comb isn't wet/moist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by