Blood on feeders - no sign of injury - mystery!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I walked into my coop tonight and was startled to notice that my feeder had a band of blood around the bottom 4-5 inches. It's a 30# galvanized feeder that sits on 2 cinder blocks. My second feeder (50# hanging galvanized)has an almost identical band blood on the part that holds the feed: 4-5 inches of blood, almost perfectly even all the way around. I immediately checked all of my chickens. A couple of them had blood on their feathers but no open wounds. One leghorn in particular had a good about of blood stains. I checked combs and battles especially, but nothing besides the usual Knicks on my large combed breeds. Not missing any chickens either. I am mystified!! As far as I'm concerned, it turned out fine because no one is noticeably hurt. But I'm curious to see if you guys have any clue as to what this is!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Did you check the inside of the mouth and the edge of the beak? Both areas get hurt pretty commonly, although I expect to see feeder injuries more often in plastic feeders than metal, since metal usually lacks spokes. It's unlikely given the feeders are hanging but consider checking toes too, a ripped toenail bleeds like crazy, as does a broken foot feather on a featherlegged breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by