1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood on Outside of Egg - What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Trendy Chicks, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Trendy Chicks

Trendy Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Hello - I recently read something on one of the threads about blood on the outside of an egg and I can't remember what it indicated.

Today I collected one with a few bloody spots. Does anybody know what it means? Thanks.

2. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Hello- all 6 of my girls had blood on their first egg. There was even an EE who seemed to have a heck of a time laying that first egg and that egg had quite a bit of blood she even left a few drops in the nest- her eggs had a blood smear for a couple of days - then all was fine and they are clean as a whistle. I checked out her bum a few days later and everything was fine. I think when they first begin to lay this is normal. [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It means it probably hurt a little. [​IMG] We get that occasionally, especially if somebody drops a big one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by