Blood on outside of egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SueMuffin, Oct 20, 2010.

1. SueMuffin

SueMuffin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I picked up my eggs this morning and one had a smear of blood on the outside of the shell. What would cause this and should I be concerned? I dont know which one of my girls laid this egg but I think it was the first egg from one of them. I think I only have 2 out of 6 that are laying fight now, but the shell was a little different than the others I have been getting. This leads me to beleive its a new girl that has started. Thanks for the help.

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    It is very normal. It could be because it's a first time layer, but not necessarily.. I still get them on occassion and most all of my girls are nearing 2 years old.

3. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Same here, mostly with my newbies. Every once in awhile you'll get an oddly shaped or larger egg than normal which also may cause them to strain and bleed slightly when laying.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Chicken 'roids. [​IMG]

5. SueMuffin

SueMuffin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thanks for the answers I feel better knowing they are normal and not hurting. Your answers are much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by