blood on outside of egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emmak, Feb 9, 2011.

1. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    When I collected eggs just now my OEG bantam's egg had a small amount of blood on it. This has never happened before. Should I be concerned? She's a great little layer, and just started up a new cycle of laying. This is her second egg in the cycle. Thanks for any info.

2. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Very occasionally there will be a smear of blood on an egg. Since it happens so rarely, I don't worry about it when it happens here. If there were a lot or of it were to continue, then I would start looking for reasons.

3. emmak

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    Thanks! Smear is a good description, and it's never happened before, so I'll monitor and not worry too much unless I see more.

4. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    I have noticed that when my chooks start laying theor very first egg seems to have a smear of blood on it.

5. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have been wondering about this. 3 of my hens just started laying, they're all sisters. The first 2, visited the nest box, got comfy in there, etc., and a day or 2 later were laying their first egg. The 3rd hen, she was visiting the nest box, and making noises like she wanted to lay for about a week, I was getting concerned. Finally she laid her first egg, and there was a little blood smear on it. No problems since then.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I see the same thing from time to time from my bantam flock. Ouch! Poor little dears. The eggs they lay seem really large in proportion to their size.

7. emmak

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    I agree! I'm amazed that my sweet little hen can produce an egg as large as she does.

8. CarolinaChickenKeeper

CarolinaChickenKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Pauline, SC
    I was worried too when my Silkie started laying for her first time: The first egg had poo and some blood smear. Second egg had less blood smear. After egg # three they have been clean as a whistle. I'm guessing this is the process for first time egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by