blood on outside of egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheOldHen, Nov 17, 2011.

1. TheOldHen

TheOldHen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Green Bay,WI
    I am a newbe and have 4 hens. The first started to lay about 2 weeks ago and has one a day and the eggs look great. The second had one 6 days ago. It had just a little blood on the shell. She skipped a day, than another one that was fine. After a day off, she laid another one today. This one had blood on the outside again. Not a whole lot but enough to see it. Does this sometimes happen or should i be concerned. Thanks for any help

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It happens sometimes - and not just with new layers. It's not a big deal (although the chicken may beg to differ...lol).

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    mine do that too sometimes.. i think its ok

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    With young hens, the passages are not fully stretched and they may slightly split (ouch!), but it usually sorts itself out within a couple of weeks.

5. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    dont worry it will be fine that can happen if the pipe isnt stretched enuf

6. AnnieAlbright

AnnieAlbright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Monmouth County, NJ
    I just found my first 2 eggs, and one had some blood streaks. I would imagine the poor girls aren't stretched out enough yet... ouch!

[​IMG]

7. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    It happens occasionally. Makes you appreciate the hard work those poor girls do.

8. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    My hens just started laying and one egg had some blood on it today. OUCH!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by