1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood on pullets first egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marlene, Feb 6, 2012.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    My 25 week old pullet just layed her first egg and it had blood on the shell, is this normal? Is she going to be ok?

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    It's quite common and I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Not unusual. Also expect there to be a large amount of variation in the appearance of the eggs over the next month or so. My new layers put out eggs of different sizes, shapes, color variations and even speckling for about the first 30 days. Things settled down after that time.

4. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Same thing happened to two of my three chickens the first time they laid an egg.
    Completely normal. You may even see it a few more times but it's nothing to worry about.
    It's also quite normal for them to make a bit of a racket after laying an egg [​IMG] but mine aren't nearly as loud now as when they first started.

5. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Ditto what the other 3 said.
    I mean, think about it: This was the first time she has pushed out something that big.
    I'm in awe sometimes that they can do that just about EVERY DAY!

6. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thank you for the replies.
    Glad to know it's normal, and nothing is wrong.

7. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    My Ameracauna (I believe since the shell is slightly green but could've been the Leghorn) layed her first this morning and the egg is quite small...I'm assuming this is normal...she is about 16ish weeks, here's a pic.
    [​IMG]
    The one on the left is the store egg...I also suspect her (Xena the Ameracauna) because she was the first to really start scoping out the nest box, as though she were starting to get the urge. She did not land this first one in the box, but I assume that is because it surprised her :) which I also assume is normal?

8. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Oh and, it was covered in this yellowish goo...also normal?

9. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Anybody?

10. kefiren

kefiren Chillin' With My Peeps

just now my ameraucana pullet won't come off the nest and there is a blood smeared small (but actually not tiny) egg just outside the nesting box, as if it surprised her in the night.

just adding my experience to the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by