Blood on rear of dead 2 week old chick

hsingmama

Chirping
5 Years
May 12, 2015
We just got these Tuesday and today I have watched two of them get weak looking, but then they would seem to pick back up and run and peck like the rest. Well, one of them we just found dead with blood on the rear. What can this be and how do I keep it from happening to the rest of the flock? I hope there is a home remedy as my job just ended and we will be hard up for quite a while. .

Was the vent pecked to make it bleed, or was there blood in the droppings and around the vent? Bloody droppings can be coccidiosis, which is bested treated by Corid (amprollium) a cattle medicine in the water. Symptoms of cocci are lethargy, weakness, puffing up or hunched posture, diarrhea or blood in droppings, and ruffled feathers. If the vent was bloody because it was pecked, then you may not have enough room or may not be feeding enough protein in their feed. Chicks require 20% protein in chick starter/grower, or they may peck each other, especially if crowded or bored.

Was the vent pecked to make it bleed, or was there blood in the droppings and around the vent? Bloody droppings can be coccidiosis, which is bested treated by Corid (amprollium) a cattle medicine in the water. Symptoms of cocci are lethargy, weakness, puffing up or hunched posture, diarrhea or blood in droppings, and ruffled feathers. If the vent was bloody because it was pecked, then you may not have enough room or may not be feeding enough protein in their feed. Chicks require 20% protein in chick starter/grower, or they may peck each other, especially if crowded or bored.
No pecking. I could not find droppings, but there was a very vivid drip of blood on the vent. It has lethargy, weakness, hunching. I will check the bag of feed to morrow to see if it says 20% but it is starter feed. Not over crowded at all.

Thanks for your post!

Then I would start them all on Corid tomorrow as soon as possible. You can buy it at most farm stores, and dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

We started it this morning after waking up to 2 more dead chicks. Thank you for your reply!

Sorry for your loss. Make sure that all of the chicks are drinking well, or give them a couple of drops of the undiluted Corid. After you finish the treatment, give them some poultry vitamins and probiotics for several days.

Thanks! I wish I would have known about the undiluted part cuz even with giving mixture with dropper, we have lost 2 more. Now I know. Thank you for the info!

Back
Top Bottom