Blood on roost, toes are fine (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theabee, Jan 12, 2015.

1. theabee

theabee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Okay, so today When cleaning my coop there was blood on the roost in two places. AHHHHHHH!
    What could it be? Here are the pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some background: I have four chickens. It is very cold here, recently about 4*F. One of my chickens recently had an impacted crop (which I solved with an epsom salt bath and a water only diet for a day). I don't know if that could be significant?
    They are pretty young, about 8.5 months old. Some of them are laying, but it turned wintry before they got into full egg-laying gear.
    I get a about 1-2 eggs a day mostly. I got no eggs today.
    My first thought when I saw the blood was that someone had nibbled their toes, but none of their feet are injured.

SO. My questions for y'all:
    What is it?
    Could it be egg laying problems? Something to do with the impacted crop? Is it significant that there is blood in two places?
    How can I cure what ever it is?

THANK YOU! <3

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I would start them on a round of Corid immediately. That looks like coccidiosis to me.

@Eggcessive , because I know you're not busy or anything. :p

MrsB

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I just had the same experience yesterday, but found my Mille Fleur d'uccle rooster had had a blood feather picked out around a foot. He probably lost an ounce of blood before I found him at bedtime on the roost. About once a month I will see some blood, but it's probably from a picked comb, and I never find the injured bird. I would look for droppings containing the blood. How do the birds act? Are any lethargic or puffed up or hunched? You could get Corid, but I wouldn't start it unless I knew that blood was from droppings. I think there would have been some remnants of stool in the blood if it was stool. If you find a dropping like that, by all means, treat with Corid right away at the strength of 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  5. theabee

theabee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Thanks you two! It's true, the blood didn't seem to have any stool in it. Also, one of my birds is molting- maybe something happened to do with that?
    The birds do seem a little puffy and hunched, but it is getting into the negatives (*F) around here, so that makes it kind of hard to say- they could just be keeping warm. They seem active overall.
    Well, I'll keep an eye out for any more symptoms, but I'm thinking it's probably nothing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by