1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood on roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KayinVirginia, Aug 25, 2008.

1. KayinVirginia

KayinVirginia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Two of my 15 BO pullets just started laying at 17 weeks. I know this is early. Today I found a broken egg just outside the door of my hen house. I didn't find any shell or egg white, just the yolk (unbroken) I also found blood on the roost and a little in the wood shavings. -not much, just pink stains. I am worried. I love my chickens. Is this anything to be concerned about?

2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I wouldn't be too concerned. Just keep observing them. When they first start laying they might lay very tiny eggs or eggs without shells until their bodies adjust. They might accidently lay in odd places especially if it is a shelless egg or a very tiny one. As for the blood it could be hard to tell where it came from and it might be nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by