Blood on Shell...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jessied1227, Sep 9, 2007.

1. jessied1227

jessied1227 Songster

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Today when I went out to get the eggs from the boxes, I found an enormous egg, heavily covered in blood streaks. My poor girl! I have no idea which hen layed it, and they were all most unhappy with me turning them around and looking at their bums, LOL.

Will the hen who layed it be okay, or do I need to worry about her tearing and possible infection?

I was going to get a picture of it, but the hubby washed it off and fried it up before I got out of the shower. [​IMG] He was dipping toast into it when I came out with the camera. [​IMG] It was a double yolker.

Jess

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    were they first time layers ?? if so thats normall for them first eggs to have blood on them it is just gitting every thing use to have in a big egg pop out there behinds . lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007
  3. davecash

davecash Songster

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    yeah, what she said

4. jessied1227

jessied1227 Songster

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Well, not really. We've been getting 10-12 eggs from my 12 girls of laying age for about 3 weeks now, they've all been laying for about 7 weeks.

I realize it's normal for a bit of blood to be on the shell, some of my girls lay big eggs. This egg was literally covered in dried blood.

It was enough to disturb me, that's for sure. I half expected to have a hen bleeding from the backside, it was a lot of blood.

Jess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: