Blood on shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgaine, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Yesterday and today one of my hens( a RIR) layed an egg and there were streaks of blood on the outside of the shell. Is this cause for concern? Do I need to keep her seperated? I have not seen any blood in their poop.

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My hens all have a little blood on their first and sometimes second egg they lay. Do you have any new layers?

3. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    I have 9 out of 24 girls laying. Ginger, the RIR, had just started at the end of the week. Thank for the reply. I looked at her vent and it didn't appear to have any tears.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My last hen started laying today and the tiny egg had a couple streaks of blood on it.

5. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    My Buff Orp laid her first egg today and it had a couple of blood streaks on it too. It's been this way with almost all of my pullets as they started to lay.

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have seen this once or twice.

7. citychickers

citychickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Littleton Colorado
    so far I've been able to tell which eggs are the "first laid" because of the little blood stains on the outside. Mine all stopped after the first or second egg laid too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by