1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood on the egg (photo)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by garnette89, Mar 24, 2013.

1. garnette89

garnette89 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2012
    I have been finding blood on one white egg from the leghorns each day. Ive checked them over and no blood anywhere on he feathers or vent area. Any ideas what this can be?
    [​IMG]

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Are they new to laying? Because I have been getting a blood streaked egg from one of 4 pullets that just started laying. I was assuming in my case it might be from a small tear as the egg is being laid...as in the chicken is straining a bit...

I haven't been seeing anywhere near as much blood as you are though. So I don't know....but if none of the hens seem off, and you don't see anyone with a bloody vent I would just wait and hope it stops.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. garnette89

garnette89 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2012
    they are not new to laying. They have been laying for some time now. Its only one of the leghorns that has this!

4. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Maybe pick everyone up and check their vents. That way you can further examine who it is. Maybe someone saw her vent as she was laying and pecked it until it bled.

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Ok this might sounds really weird and crazy...But I've heard of it being done before. Get a bunch of different colors of food coloring and put a different color drop in each hen's vent in the late afternoon. then the next morning when they lay an egg it has a color stain on it and you can tell which hen laid each egg. just make sure you put a dot of coloring on their tail or something so you know who matches the colored egg. I know this sounds really weird but its supposed to work! lol...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by