1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blood on the feeder???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by woodsman23, Dec 18, 2012.

1. woodsman23

woodsman23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    My feeder had blood on it this am and i see no bird that is hurt, the feeder was empty what could have caused this. No birds seem to have marks on them.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    We've had that happen before and not been able to find the injury. It could have been a cut on someone's comb or wattles. It seems that those bleed quite a bit, even when it's a small cut. Check for small black spots on combs or wattles and you might solve the mystery.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They all crowd around the feeder(s) normally in the early mornings or whenever they get hungry. The birds at the top of the pecking order will peck at the ones on the lower pecking order to get them out of the way. Sometimes there'll be a bloody comb or wattle on the bird that's lower in the pecking order and the blood will smear on the feeder when it's her turn to feed, that's what you're seeing. (RHIP-- Rank Has It's Priveledges) LOL.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have blood all over my roosts. Can't figure out where it's coming from. Most likely was from a nick on the comb (they bleed heavily).

Nothing to worry about unless you see an obviously injured chicken.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Several things to look for; mite infestation, especially at night. Blood from in or around vent area, also in feces. Bloody exudates expelled from their throats could mean Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT.) However if it were ILT, their would be other symptoms. They could simply be bickering/pecking each other over their favorite roosting spots and some bleeding occurs...this is what I suspect is happening.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Everyone is vaccinated for ILT here. I am almost certain it is over zealous roosters and hens bleeding from comb, as I've caught one hen bleeding like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by