blood on the first few eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninaevans, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ninaevans

ninaevans New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    is this normal? a little streak of blood on our eggs. Hmmmmm.......

2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    YES, it is pretty normal for a hen to leave a small streak on an egg like that. as long as it isn't an enormous amount of blood and there are no other alarming symptoms [​IMG] esp the 1st few eggs. one of my hen's first eggs was a bit large for her and there was a little streak of blood running down it. no big deal [​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not unusual at all. There's a bit of stretching going on! If it gets worse, or doesn't stop, it may be time to worry a bit, but if it's just a little bit, it doesn't sound like trouble.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Most new layers first egg will have blood smears on them. This is do to the stretching that is taking place. Also sometime is regular layer if they pass a LARGER than normal egg for them you will also see blood on it.

5. ninaevans

ninaevans New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    Thanks! Just want to make sure. Im new to chickens, so i have lots of silly questions. Why everyone doesn't have chickens is what i really want to know. This eggs in my back yard thing is about the most exciting thing i have ever done.... oh and sooooo yummy!!!! Thanks for the info!

6. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I'm SO glad I'm a guy.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Ninaevans!

Yes, the are addicting, for sure! I get just as excited collecting eggs now as the day I got my first one. And, if hubby collects them before I do, severe disappointment sets in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by