Blood on the leg/ankle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moodybymarriage, Jan 5, 2010.

1. moodybymarriage

moodybymarriage New Egg

May 7, 2009
    Maine
    I have always been able to find answers to any issue, until now. Chelsea, an 8 month old Barred Rock has blood on her leg, where I would call the ankle. She appears healthy otherwise. She was eating and drinking and being social until tonight, when the other 6 went to roost and I found her on the edge of the nest box. I washed off the blood and now it just looks sore. I brought her into the house so # 1 she would be warm and #2 the other could not pick at her if they decided to. Any suggestions or recommendations on what to do with /for Chelsea?

Moody

2. skyedobb

skyedobb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    Is it swollen or just "sore"? Any open wound? Is it warm? How is she acting besides not getting up on the roost? I'd keep it clean, let her rest for the night, and reevaluate tomorrow.

3. moodybymarriage

moodybymarriage New Egg

May 7, 2009
    Maine
    Thanks for the quick reply. Today she was eating and running around with the others. I did not notice anything until I picked her up from the nest box. The ankle looks as if the skin has been scratched off of it in an area that is about the size of a dime. I just wiped it with a warm/wet towel. The leg does look a little puffy compared to the other, but only by a little bit. Should I wash it with anything else?

Moody

4. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    I have read here that Neosporin is a good thing to add to the wound. It will also keep it moist and it has antibiotics to help with any infections.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My suggestion is to not keep her in the house - she's not seriously hurt or injured, keep her perhaps in a dog crate or something in the garage or other un-heated space. Keeping her in the warmth of the house will make it very difficult to move her back out where its freezing unless you keep her in till summer [​IMG]

Make sure the neosproin isn't the kind with the pain relief in it, otherwise its ok. I would just wash it off and perhaps some neosporin or something, keep an eye on it till morning and let her out again if its not bleeding any further.

She could just have been pecked or gotten scratched on something.

6. skyedobb

skyedobb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    I wouldn't even go with the Neosporin. Sounds like it got scratched or rubbed by something. Keeping some iodine/betadine on hand is always good, and washing with a diluted solution works well. The neosporin won't hurt, but since it's gooey it might attract getting dirt in/around the wound unless you also put on a bandage. I'd just wash it and put her back in with the others. Take a look tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by