blood on the outside of egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by plc, Nov 14, 2011.

1. plc

plc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Collected my sex link brown egg this morning & it was bloody on the shell. She has only been laying for several weeks..this is a first.

Thoughts? She looks ok on the outside.

[​IMG]

Thanks!!!

2. littleluciex

littleluciex Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Wauchula
    Im not sure if its normal one of my banties layed an egg with a little blot of blood and shes been fine since. Im not really sure what you could do, I know the eggs do seem to get get bigger with time. Hope someone can answer your question.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    This happens to mine, too, although I've never had quite that much. I think they do get small tears from time to time. To the best of my knowledge, it's not an indicator of any other issues.

4. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

just curious if its blood on the outside of the egg?- if you wet a paper towel and rub it does it turn the paper towel brown- if not then maybe its showing through from the inside of the egg?

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Every once in a while I'll get an egg with a little blood on it like that. Last spring, I found two eggs on successive days with blood streaks, and the second one was a lot bloodier than the egg in your picture. I went around and checked chicken bums and discovered that our Hermione had an injury of some kind just inside her cloaca.

I encouraged her to go broody to give her insides a chance to heal up. Fortunately, she's of a breed of chicken that goes broody at the drop of a hat. After the broody period when she started laying again, she was fine and has been fine since.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Occasionally I will find a small amount of blood on an egg, although like ninbeast, not ever that much. If you don't know who laid it, I would agree to check all hen bottoms and make sure no one is injured. Having said that, I had no problems with mine, after the initial discovery. I did check every day though for about a week. Hope that helps.

7. plc

plc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    It was Rose the sex link. I looked at her bottom & I could see where it had seeped a little blood. I checked it a few hours later & it looked good as new [​IMG] I will continue to check her for a while & make sure it isn't a problem.

Thanks for all the replies!

8. steinway

steinway Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Quote:How did you encourage her to go broody? I am new, no chickens yet, just learning and this is the first I heard of this.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    With our pullet eggs, first eggs or double yolkers, we've seen many a smidge of blood. Never thought anything more of it than: "Ouch! That must have smarted."

10. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG][​IMG] I am curious as how to get a hen to go broody also.I thought that was something they did on their own.Can this be done to any breed or just certain breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by