blood on the roost

mamabigbird

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Vancouver Island, B.C.,
When I went out this morning to release the girls I noticed after they had all scrambled away that there was blood on the upper perch.
It was dry but had been a good bleed judging by the rivulets and drip points.
I scooped out under the spot and got a large cat litter scoop of bloodied pine bedding.
No disturbed feathers nearby so I don't think someone got a blood feather pulled out.
So I spent about an hour watching them, looking for obvious vent bleeding or other injuries.
Combs look good, legs and feet seem fine. I really can't figure it out.
I just put 3 young pullets into the general population 2 days ago.
They have been quarantined for 3 weeks. There is some bickering going on with the new pecking order being established.
I'm hoping it doesn't happen again but worry about disease of course.

My first thought is pecking. Comb injuries tend to bleed quite dramatically. Do you see any dark spots on any combs? Blood feathers will also gush pretty well, but you'd spot that pretty easily against the other feathers.

My next thought is cocci. I'd be looking for more blood/bloody poops and watching for any signs of puffed-up, lethargic birds.

Keep us posted as to what you find. Good luck.

Good luck. Hope it was just an anomaly, if you keep an eye on them (like you are) and it happens again you'll figure it out.
thumbsup.gif

Well no repeat of yesterday ... so far.
I watched them all for a bit this morning while they are still in their pen.
No staggering or listless birds so have my fingers crossed, but there is one 1 1/2 year old red SL who has had a really hard molt.
All her same age sisters have feathered out and started laying again but she has still got feather casings on her wings and is very skinny in the butt.
I'm wondering if one of her new feathers got pulled out. She is rust colored so I may not of spotted blood on her feathers.
I'll just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom