1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood ring and strange pattern

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MommaBee, Mar 5, 2013.

1. MommaBee

MommaBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Texas
    New at candling. Trying to find out what I should be looking for at day 7. I would really appreciate your opinion!
    Is this a blood ring aka the ring of death?
    [​IMG]

And what is this called? The dips in the pattern are different than what I see with the others.

[​IMG]

2. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    I'm no expert, just doing my 4th hatch now, but I"m pretty sure that top pic is a blood ring. Not sure what is going on with your bottom pic. But I usually candle holding the egg horizontal with the big end to the light so I can see the air cell and that way usually shows up the veins pretty good too; Look up the hatching 101 thread by Sally Sunshine; she has lots of links and great photos in there. I leave everything in until 10 days, then toss the ones I am 100% certain are no good. I'll mark the questionable ones and check them again at 12 or 14 days. by 14 days most of the egg should be dark; if it's pretty clear and no veins then probably wasn't fertile or an early quitter.

Thinking on that bottom pic; were these shipped eggs or is it possible they got frozen? It almost looks like the yolk is scrambled.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

The top does look like a blood ring. The bottom picture looks like the egg was shipped and the air cell got detached and/or saddle-shaped... sorry, I don't know enough about it to be clearer. Neither of those eggs looks viable, but I agree with maryhysong that you could leave them in a while longer to be sure.

4. MommaBee

MommaBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Texas
    I agree about leaving them in! And thank you guys so much for confirming my fears. Sadly those were just a few of the ones I pulled out. I did see 2 with good veining.I will check the others today and see. I am sure I will be posting more pictures of ones I am confused on. I see candling picture online and then look at my eggs and it is still hard to compare them when you do not know exactly what you are looking for. So I really do appreciate your help. I am so glad this forum exists. I have learned so much in a short amount of time.
    I think I will try to set up a better candler today and give it a go. Thanks again!

Oh and yes they were shipped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by